Effcetive: May 25, 2018
1. Introduction and scope
eCM Journal provides an interdisciplinary forum for publication in the musculoskeletal field of preclinical research. eCM Open Access online periodical hosts all eCM official society meeting abstracts along with other abstracts for various congresses. eCM Open Access online periodical and eCM Not-for-Profit Open Access journal (Eur Cell Mater) are published by AO Research Institute Davos, a Not-for-Profit foundation in Switzerland (in this Notice, “publisher”).
Your personal information is stored by the publisher. Personal information is that which does, or could, identify you.
This Privacy Notice is provided in the context of the publisher`s role in the collection, use, transfer, security and eventual disposal (collectively “processing”) of your personal information or data.
Throughout this notice, “eCM”, “we”, “us” or “our” means the publisher.
2. Changes to this notice
We will update this Notice from time to time and will communicate material changes to you before they become effective by the best means available to us (for example, by a prominent notice on the eCM websites).
3. Personal information collected
We hold three categories of personal information or data:
1. Personal information that you provide to us when you create and use an account at https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ecm (operated by Clarivate Analytics ScholarOne), for submission of papers or reviewing. These data, for example, are your contact information and academic résumé. These data also require you to agree to the Clarivate Analytics ScholarOne privacy agreement, which needs an active agreement when submitting your data. The privacy statement of Clarivate Analytics ScholarOne can be found on https://clarivate.com/clarivate-analytics-scholarone-privacy-notice/, where eCM is referred to as the "Publisher".
2. Data that other users of https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ecm may input to create an account for you when you have co-authored a manuscript with them or they are listing you as a possible reviewer in your taking part in the peer review process. ScholarOne’s “Reviewer Locator” functionality assists eCM to find potential reviewers from Clarivate’s Web of Science database.
3. Your ORCID ID, as you have deposited when registering your account at https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ecm (operated by Clarivate Analytics ScholarOne). For information about ORCID data protection policy please visit https://orcid.org/blog/2018/05/21/gdpr-orcid-you.
4. Personal information that you provide to us when you register for an eCM conference or conference that we host from time to time on behalf of other societies (e.g. EORS – European Society for Biomaterials, ESB – European Society for Biomaterials, SSB&RM – Swiss Society for Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine, TERMIS – Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society).
4. Purpose of processing
We process your personal information to be able to keep in touch and to communicate concerning published eCM manuscripts and eCM periodical abstracts, news relevant to the journal and periodical, news relevant to official societies and their congresses. We wish to assure you that we treat your data carefully and with respect, without ever sharing them with third parties.
We use https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ecm to manage our workflow for the eCM journal, for example to give you access to this site, and send you e-mails relating to your paper submissions, reviewing and editing activities and, occasionally, news concerning eCM conferences and/or an eCM-hosted conference on behalf of other societies (as defined in 3.3).
We may choose to activate a Clarivate Analytics ScholarOne tool that helps detect fake peer reviews, in part through the processing of personal data, for example e-mail addresses and submission statistics.
We may use your e-mail address(es) (acquired as in section 3) to circulate an eCM newsletter, using an e-mail delivery system.
EU GDPR ARTICLE 6 (LAWFULNESS OF PROCESSING) INFORMATION: As data controller, each publisher determines the legal basis upon which it processes the personal data of European individuals. These bases may include your consent and the necessity of fulfilling a contract with you.
5. Recipients of the information
Your personal information that we hold will be accessed by:
1. Publisher employees whose roles require access to your data. Our personnel are bound to confidentiality terms, which cover their obligations to protect personal data.
2. Your data submitted to https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ecm (operated by Clarivate Analytics ScholarOne) may be transferred to a third party as a result of any merger, acquisition or similar corporate event involving Clarivate.
3. We will disclose your personal data when required to by law.
6. Information security
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect your personal information from accidental loss and unauthorised access or use. These measures include firewalls, role-based data access, intrusion-detection software and physical access controls to data centres. However, we cannot guarantee that loss, misuse, unauthorised acquisition or alteration of your data will never occur.
7. Data retention
The period for which your information will be retained will be set by you, as you can delete your user account at any time on https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ecm (operated by Clarivate Analytics ScholarOne) and can unsubscribe at any time from the eCM newsmail using the link at the bottom of the circulated e-mail.
8. International transfer
https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ecm (operated by Clarivate Analytics ScholarOne) is hosted on servers in the United States of America. Ensuring appropriate safeguards for these data is the responsibility of Clarivate.
eCM journal and periodical is hosted by an external contractor Green which is currently located in Switzerland.
9. Your right and choices
You may contact us with questions or requests concerning our use of your information, for example to request access to the data that we hold about you, or request that it be corrected or erased. If you registered the information (as in section 3) on https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ecm (operated by Clarivate Analytics ScholarOne), where it is then held, we will contact them on your behalf for correction or erasure of data if we are unable to correct or erase the data held on this site directly.
However, you may also contact Clarivate with data privacy questions, in particular those that concern the role ScholarOne performs in processing your personal information held on https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ecm. You can contact them at: email@example.com.
Similarly, if you want to erase or correct your ORCID ID, please contact the ORCID platform directly at https://orcid.org/help/contact-us
10. Contact us
For privacy requests and queries, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org